Resident Evil 4 Sucks!
We have a thread in our forum titled "The 'Official' Resident Evil sucks thread", but because of all the early reviews proclaiming the greatness of RE4, it quickly turned into "The 'Official' Resident Evil rules thread". No more!
We've all heard about how Resident Evil 4 "reinvents" the RE series. How great it looks. How the control and game mechanics are top notch. Blah, blah, blah. I'm here to give you five reasons why the game isn't "all-that". (** A few very minor spoilers might be found below. **)
Top 5 Reasons RE4 Sucks
5) Few Story-based Cut-scenes: I just feel as if there are not enough cut-scenes that progress the story. Most just warn you of impending danger. In particular, they don't do enough with a certain lady in red. There's one "hidden" scene early on you can find that starts the mystery of who she could be, but if you don't see it, the first time you meet you find out who she is! Unless there are more hidden scenes, they blew this. Maybe the PS2 version can fix it.
4) No Strafe Button: When you first start playing it takes time getting used to the control since there is no way to strafe. It would just feel more natural if there was a way. True, most of the game it isn't an issue, but then when you meet a certain blind prisoner... you'll be dropping "F" bombs left and right.
3) Menu Whore: You still have to go into the menu to do things like use hearlth, use a key, or switch weapons. (It would of been worse if they didn't add the L-trigger quick knife that the demo didn't have.) Imagine a case running though a farm. A villager comes at you, so you use your handgun to shoot out his legs. Quickly though you hop into the menu to grab a Flash Grenade to slow down a group of them coming in from the left. But then you have to switch back to the handgun to take care of the first villager that has now gotten back up. Once he's had his head knocked off, it's back to the menu to grab a Grenade to chuck at the group to your left again. By this time though another group is on your right so you go in to grab your shotgun and take care of them... get the picture?
2) Missed Oppurtunities: There were a few cases in the game I just couldn't help but feel Capcom missed a chance to add to the game. I was left thinking, that's it? They missed a chance to add another, or better, puzzle (see the Castle Dining Room); or maybe they missed a chance to add another action sequence (a certain form of trasportaion in Chapter 4 comes to mind). Oh well. I guess after all the delays they were in a hurry to finally get it out.
1) Auto-Examine Lameness: This is biggest reason yet why RE4 sucks. Go into your inventory and examine one of your newly aquired and hard fought for treasures, and when you do, it just sits there and keeps mindlessly spinning! WTF? In previous RE games you could zoom in and get a closer look, or turn it around manually to better study the back of an item. I have no clue why they took such a major a step back in the series. It ruins the game! Bah!
I hope by reading this that next time you won't be so quick to believe what 99.8% of the reviews on the internet say about a game. Especially Matt C. of IGN. The only place you should trust (besides here) is Adam Sessler of X-Play...
P.S. This was just a joke. Don't trust Sessler either...