V8 Arcade: The best next-gen game out there
What's new? Not much.
But they put a lot of work into fixing what was broken.
Here are the most notable changes I've found so far:
1. Snow treads/water skis - GONE
2. Long range radar weapons actually work (and the maps have spots where you can camp/snipe)
3. Ramming a car bigger than you takes a LOT more of your life bar (as does anything that hits your car - it's more realistic). You can't go ramming things and flipping your car at will anymore.
4. The controls - the trigger buttons are your gas and brakes (like on Crazy Taxi) and the face buttons are assigned to specific weapons (like on Zelda games)
5. It does NOT crash! - I've done things that would make the Dreamcast/N64 games crash and cringed, but it stayed running. It does have moments where the camera gets lost but it keeps attempting until it figures a way out (which it always does).
6. Graphically the draw-in has been (almost) completely eliminated. The detail is basically just Dreamcast quality with a solid framerate.
7. The maps are mashups of the old levels. They took 2-3 levels and mixed their elements together for every map. The powerups have all been moved too (think Zelda:OoT Master Quest). The maps are well-thought out and now have more destructible elements (you can blast a certain area and open secret tunnels etc)
The only negatives...
1. The music was lifted almost directly from 2nd Offense, but not the full tracks - just looped snippets. I guess they did it to keep the download size down (the game's like 100 MB)
2. Am I the only V8 fanatic out there? There's nobody to play with online LOL